Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Inaugural Post

I graduated with my MFA in Fiction Writing from Boise State. I moved to San Francisco (actually, Oakland, but I can't tell my family that). Now I need a new community. I've been working for a large, reputable indie publisher, and all it makes me do is cringe at the dire state of fiction publishing. But wait? Is it really all that dire? We've heard all that before, and there are still good books coming out every year. Where are they coming from? If I could say that they're coming from the likes of thousands of MFA graduates, then I might make myself feel better about my terminal degree that may or may not be all that terminal (PhD, really?), but I don't think that's entirely true. What I do think is true is that many MFA writers are trained in a specific type of art form that is geared to only a handful of "prestigious" literary journals. But where is the fascinating language? Where are the chances? Please help me by finding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment